I have stayed here for years and being a travel advisor, I hope can guide you better to explore Visakhapatnam.
All About The Oldest Port City
Visakhapatnam, also known as Vizag, the oldest port cities in the country. Situated in Andhra Pradesh, Vizag is known for its awesome beaches and serene landscape, as well as a rich cultural past, and this what makes it an ideal spot for a fantastic coastal vacation. The port of Visakhapatnam is being home to the oldest shipyard in India, and with a plethora of manmade wonders and natural spectacles, Vizag is a must-visit tourist destination in South India.
You simply cannot go to a coastal city like Visakhapatnam and not see its beaches. Vizag is with many beaches along its coastline, with the most famous one being the RK Beach (Ramakrishna beach) the best part it’s in the city itself.
There are other famous beaches too!
- Rushikonda Beach is thus rightly named as the ‘Jewel of the East Coast’, owing to its essential and intact beauty. It is the major attraction thanks to its golden sand, water sports and hilltop restaurants which offer an unbelievable view of the sea. Also, this beach allows swimming, under supervision. It’s immense popularity among local as well as foreign tourists. Tourists especially love to take a long walk along the stretch of the sand, and the sunrise and sunset are particularly beautiful here. The Rishikonda Beach is an ideal destination for a peaceful weekend getaway and is located just 12 KM away from the port of Vishakhapatnam.
- Yarada Beach is the best beach in Vizag located 18 KM from Visakhapatnam railway station. Thought of climbing a mountain and descending it to reach the beach itself gives a thrill. Yes, you have to drive all the way up to a mountain and get down on the other side to reach this beach. Its a popular weekend getaway for many, Yarada beach is surrounded by hills on its three sides and the Bay of Bengal on the fourth side. Really I mean it Going to this beach is almost like finding a lost island. Locals love to spend their weekend.
In Vizag every beach serves a different purpose some for fun and water sports, some to find peace and tranquillity. If you’re planning to visit Vizag anytime soon, make sure you visit especially Yarada and Rushikonda, to really experience Vizag.
Must visit beaches
- Bheemili Beach Located 32 KM from Vizag Railway station, you can include this in the city tour.
- Lawson’s Bay Beach located 6 KM from Vizag Railway station.
Where to stay?
Visakhapatnam has lots of Luxury and budget hotels, but if you are visiting a beach destination everyone wanna stay near to the beach road. So please note that RK beach (Ramakrishna Beach) is located in the city itself just 5 Mins drive from the city center.
If you are looking for a Luxury Hotel, the best option is NOVOTEL and THE PARK, there are some more hotels located on the beach like TAJ GATEWAY and GRAND BAY by ITC.
If you are looking for budget accommodation, it has lots of Guesthouse and service apartments.
You must visit these places!
- The Submarine Museum situated on RK Beach is a Russian built submarine of the Indian Navy (INS Kurusura) turned to a museum in 2001. This is the first submarine tuned to a museum in the whole of Asia and second in the World.
- TU 142 Aircraft Museum situated on RK Beach. Aircraft of the Indian Navy was decommissioned and placed at Visakhapatnam sea beach by converting it to a museum. Located just opposite to Submarine museum.
- Kailasagiri situated at a distance of 9 km from Vizag Railway Station. It is a charming hill on the seafront at an altitude of 130 meters. You can enjoy Ropeway and Toy Train.
- Bavikonda situated at a distance of 15 km from Vizag Railway station. It is historical Buddhist site near Kapula Uppadu village in Bheemili beach road (after Rishikonda)
- Vuda Park at a distance of 6 Kms from Vizag Railway Station, Vuda Park alias Taraka Rama Park is located near RK Beach.
- Thotlakonda at a distance of 22 Kms from Vizag Railway Station. Thotlakonda Buddhist Complex is situated on a hilltop in Chepala Uppadu village on Bheemili beach road (after Rishikonda).
- Araku Valley at a distance of 130 km from Vizag, Araku Valley, popularly known as Araku, is a scenic hill station in the Vishakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh. Often referred to as Andhra Ooty. All sightseeing places are located on the way to Araku valley like Cofee plantation, Araku Trible Museum, Cofee Museum, Galikonda viewpoint, Borra Caves, Katiki waterfalls and Chaparai water cascade.
You can plan a day trip or 1 Night stay at Araku valley, the best place to stay is APTDC Hotels.
Also, plan for one way Train journey (The best is Vistadome Coach) and return by road.